HealthProm works to ensure that vulnerable children have the best start in life. Established in 1984, our mission is to work together with local partners to promote health and social care for vulnerable children and their families in countries of the former Soviet Union and Afghanistan. This is a challenging environment, and to see what we have achieved see our website for details.
In planning for the succession of a long-standing Board member and to devise a strategy to make more impact, HealthProm is looking for a trustee with expertise and experience in sales, business development and/or fundraising to help the Board and staff to generate new funds to underpin its work.
We are rolling out an ambitious five-year strategy to 2022 to increase our impact and to ensure we have the expertise and resources necessary to deliver it. We are fortunate to have funding from institutional donors to cover some of our core costs but we also need to raise unrestricted finance to ensure we can continue to engage staff and consultants with the necessary expertise and retain capacity to implement our strategy. This is where you can help us. We need a trustee with the time and expertise to work both with other trustees on the Board and with HealthProm staff to develop new strategies and initiatives for fundraising.
Chair of HealthProm
3 June 2019
You will join a small and active trustee Board supporting the effective delivery of HealthProm’s current programmes and guiding its future strategy and direction, with a specific focus on income generation and fundraising.
You will prepare for and participate in HealthProm Board meetings in person or by Skype (currently four per annum, each lasting three hours and held in London). You will also chair the Fundraising sub-committee which meets periodically and advises the full Board.
In addition to this formal role we are looking for a trustee who is able to dedicate some time to support HealthProm staff in the detailed delivery of agreed fundraising initiatives and targets.
HealthProm trustee appointments are unpaid but travel expenses will be reimbursed.
With other trustees, you will be responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of HealthProm, developing the charity’s aims, objectives and goals in accordance with the governing document, legal and regulatory guidelines.
- To take part in formulating and regularly reviewing the strategic aims of HealthProm, and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To advise on appropriate fundraising strategies and initiatives to ensure HealthProm can deliver on its plans.
- To ensure that the policy and practices of HealthProm are in keeping with its objectives and its memorandum and articles of association (and any variations thereto) and that these are carried out by management.
- To ensure that HealthProm functions within the legal and financial requirements of the Charities Commission and Companies House and strives to achieve best practice.
- To ensure that the income of HealthProm is spent solely for the purposes as laid out in its objectives.
- To act in the best interest of HealthProm at all times.
- To ensure compliance of HealthProm with statutory and legal requirements.
- To assist the Chair as an active member of the Trustee Board in exercising its responsibilities and functions.
- To participate in meetings of Trustees, whether Board or committee meetings and in other exchanges as needed, ensuring HealthProm’s policies and concerns are reflected in their deliberations.
- To be familiar with the operations of HealthProm to ensure that a critical and informed view can be maintained, and participating in appropriate training sessions.
- To contribute specific fundraising skills and contacts to support HealthProm.
- To promote HealthProm to as wide an audience of donors and beneficiaries as possible
You should be able to demonstrate and provide evidence of the following criteria within your written application. We are keen to ensure diversity on the Board.
The successful candidates will be able to give evidence of:
- An understanding of, empathy with, and commitment to HealthProm’s vision, mission and values.
- Proven experience and expertise in sales, business development and/or fundraising. This will include generating income from corporates, High Net Worth individuals, trusts and foundations, events or other initiatives.
- Knowledge of the region in which HealthProm operates (desirable).
- Some awareness of the sectoral areas in which HealthProm is involved: maternal and child health, social care, fostering, disability, palliative care, early intervention.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship and an understanding of the respective roles of the Chair, Trustees and Director of Operations.
- The ability to work effectively as a collegiate member of a board while contributing an independent perspective.
- Some experience of board or committee membership in a charitable, public sector or commercial organisation.
- Links to a network of current and relevant contacts.
You should also be able to demonstrate:
- An understanding of and commitment to, the values of accountability, probity and openness.
- An ability to process detail and get to the heart of an issue.
- Confident and effective communication skills with a range of audiences and ability to act as an ambassador for the organisation.
- A willingness to devote the time and effort required to effectively discharge the duties of this role.
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please provide the following:
- A supporting statement, explaining how you believe your skills and experience match the requirements of the role, directly addressing the person specification.
- A short introductory statement demonstrating your motivation for this role.
- A comprehensive CV including details of your achievements in each role, and including details of two referees.
All of these documents should be forwarded by email to Simon Ray at [email protected]